Monday, March 29, 2010

Now that's one tasty cable

Our satellite internet has been out for the past several days.  Thankfully, the HughesNet dude has finally come to our rescue and is diligently working on reconnecting us to the outside world.  He discovered that the power supply to our modem has shorted out...it's totally fried and must be replaced.  Now what could be the cause of that?  Upon further investigation, he found that one or more toothy critters have been chewing on the cable that runs 100 feet from the satellite dish into the house and to the modem.  The cable is wet inside, full of water...it too is totally fried and must be replaced.  Apparently, said cable should always be buried, which will (hopefully) prevent our many groundhogs, squirrels and raccoons from nibbling it to death.  And speaking of nibbling, we have had a mouse (or squirrel, I don't know) go to work on our cedar trim.  What's with all this chewing?!

I'll let the wildlife have 99% of our property.  I'll pay the taxes, I'll keep the woods healthy, and I'll go to great effort and expense to remove anything that doesn't belong here (like European Starlings and Multiflora Rose).  All I ask is that I get to live undisturbed within the four walls of my den.  Is that too much to ask?