Saturday, April 4, 2009

Who's hungry?

I saw a healthy fox with a full, bushy tail trotting across the dam last weekend, but I'm afraid I haven't seen hide nor hair (pun intended) of ol' baldy. I finally got the camera trap working, only to learn that I've been making the resident raccoons and opossums very happy.

The bait usually sits out for a couple days before disappearing, usually enduring at least one downpour. So by the time anyone comes along to eat it, it's pretty soggy. I guess it's possible that my fox has paid a visit to the area, but prefers his meals a little fresher...and drier.

Anyhow, I'm making one last attempt to lure in my mangy fox. I've moved the feeding station to a more private location farther into the woods and have laid out a two-day-old, defrosted and waterlogged mouse. Who could resist THAT?