Saturday, January 31, 2009

Brrrrrrrr.....

It's just too cold (about 10 degrees) to go outside - any exposed skin starts to ache in a matter of seconds - so here I am bundled up inside with the heat pump blasting away on emergency heat and a roaring fire going in the fireplace.

I am in awe of all those feathered and furry creatures out there. How do they endure such bitter cold? How can they possibly find enough to eat when everything is under 6 inches of snow and ice? How can the same bodies, that tolerate days on end of temps nearing zero in the winter months, also endure the unbearable heat and humidity of summer? Nature has bestowed upon her creatures the most efficient and elegant biological systems and processes, while we humans with our fancy technology and opposable thumbs truly pale by comparison.

I'm ashamed of my own weak and vulnerable species, but what can I do? Alas, I think I'll just curl up under a big wool blanket, grab a cup of Rooibos, and finish reading one of the three books I've got going.